Friday, May 20, 2011

Callin' It Quits!

....On the school year, that is.  I printed up some nifty certificates to present to the boys, officially graduating them to the next level.  I'm sure they'll be thrilled.  Thrilled to have a few weeks off, that is.  I officially announced the end of school two weeks ago.  We have been in vacation mode; playing with our chicks, touring the Children's Museum, playing outside, and doing a lot of park hopping.  We will be starting back to school on Monday with our new, handy-dandy school year schedule.  I've decided we're going to try a year round block schedule.  We'll school for 8 weeks, then take 2 weeks off.  Rinse and repeat.   I need to check the calendar to make sure we'll get our 36 weeks completed.  I think it'll be good.  I'm coming to realize that a straight 36 weeks is a lot.  For me and for the boys.  Really, think of it like this--if you had a project at work, would you rather fumble through 36 weeks, or break it up into easier to manage 8 week chunks? It's a good theory, no?  We'll see what happens.  I love the fact that we have so much freedom to try whatever crazy idea pops into my head.  If it doesn't work, we just readjust and keep going.  <sigh>....I love homeschooling! 
This is what the next 8 weeks will look like:

Daily
Spelling, Math, Bible, Latin for all, Greek for J-Straco
Oh, and daily reading of course.

Then, we will be rotating the other subjects every 8 weeks.  Rotational subjects will include: History, Science, Music and Art.

Another change is that I have not scheduled a formal grammar program this year.  We hit grammar pretty hard last year, and our new Latin curriculum includes a lot of grammar so I think we'll be covered.  Who knows, I may throw in a couple sentences to diagram every now and again.  I do like diagramming!

Well, that is the plan as it stands.  Our first rotational subject is science as the boys both asked for a unit on Genetics.  I haven't studied Genetics since my Advanced Biology class in high school, so I have a lot of planning to do this weekend!  I forsee some Punnett Squares and DNA extraction.....

No comments:

Post a Comment